giovedì 28 giugno 2007

Lady Musgrave

[EN] After days of rain... finally the light! Just in time, when I am about to leave the Capricorn Coast, the cloudy sky opens up and I'm greaced with a beautiful sunny day :-))). I am in the Town of 1770 (which derives its name from the date of landing of Captain Cook in Queensland), and I take the chance of exploring the local coast and booking a trip to Lady Musgrave Island, which is about 100 km from the coast. The morning after the ferry drops me at the island, where I am going to camp for one night. The island is 700 meters long, and located inside of a coral lagoon. The only facilities are a solar-panel powered emergency radio and a walking path to the camping site, which consists of a series of areas delimited by ropes to protect the nesting birds. No water or electricity, no shelters or food supplies: you have to be completely independent! The place is absolutely stunning: the tiny island is covered by a small forest reaching few meters from the beach, which is made of white sand and fragments of corals. We are in open ocean, but the crystal-transparent water is about 1 to 6 meter deep inside the lagoon: corals reefs are easily visible from above the water surface pretty much enywhere. After more than 1 week of rain, cold and frustration, I jump off the boat and run screaming to the beach. In no time I drop tent, food and water, and I am in the lagoon snowrkeling among multi-colored fishes. On and off, I have 4 snorkeling sessions during the day: I barely have time to setup the tent and munch some food between one session and the other. I bought a water-proof camera, and I take a lot of photos underwater: they are on film and I haven't developed them yet: they should be spectacular, I'll add them to the blog later. At the end of the day I am exhausted and starving; my skin is salty and covered with wrinkles. I meet the other inhabitants of the island (a very nice mate from Queensland on holiday with his two kids), cook myself some food on the beach admiring the sunset, and drop asleep like a stone in my tent. The day after... I wake up and the rain is pouring down: holy shit, again!!! Moreover, today the ferry doesn't show up beacuse the sea is too rough! I am absolutely pissed off: not only I am missing my second day of fun in paradise, but my flight back to Italy from Brisbane is only 3 days ahead: if I get stuck in the ocean for more than 2 days, I risk to miss the flight! Fortunately, I have enough food and water, and my fellow islanders are staying few more days and have plenty of supplies. But what a bad luck: this shit weather keeps haunting me! The day is very boring: there is nothing to do, so I sleep and watch raining from my tent. Fortunately, the day after the sun comes back: I spend a glorious day snorkeling and wandering around the island. The sea is calm, so the ferry comes to pick me up, still in time with my departure from Brisbane. My contact with the Great Barrier Reef has been very short because of the weather, but it has been fantastic, and also quite exciting because of this "castaway" adventure!

[IT] Dopo giorni e giorni di pioggia... finalmente la luce! Appena in tempo, quando sto per lasciare la Capricorn Coast, il cielo si apre e sono graziato con uno splendido giorno di sole :-))). Mi trovo nella Citta' di 1770 (che deriva il suo nome dalla data dell'approdo del Capitano Cook in Queensland), e colgo al volo l'occasione di esplorare la costa locale e prenotare un'escursione a Lady Musgrave Island, che si trova a un centinaio di kilometri dalla costa. La mattina seguente il traghetto mi scarica sull'isola, dove campeggiero' per una notte. L'isola e' lunga 700 metri, e situata all'interno di una laguna di origine corallina. Le uniche attrezzature sono una radio d'emergenza alimentata da pannelli solari e un sentierino al campeggio, che cosiste in una serie di spiazzi delimitati da cordoni per non turbare gli uccelli che nidificano sull'isola. Niente acqua o elettricita', niente ripari o scorte di cibo: bisogna essere completamente autosufficienti! Il posto e' semplicemente spettacolare: l'isoletta e' ricoperta da una piccola foresta che lambisce la spiaggia, che e' fatta di sabbia bianca e frammenti di corallo. Siamo in oceano aperto, ma l'acqua nella laguna e' profonda da 1 a 6 metri nella laguna: i banchi corallini sono facilmente visibili a pelo d'acqua, praticamente ovunque. Dopo piu' di una settimana di pioggia, freddo e frustrazione, salto giu' dal traghetto e mi precipito urlando in spiaggia. In un attimo scarico tenda, cibo e acqua, e mi sto gia' nuotando tra i pesci multicolori. Avanti e indietro, ho quattro sessioni di snorkeling durante la giornata: faccio a malapena in tempo a montare la tenda e mangiucchiare un po' di cibo. Ho comprato una macchina fotografica subacquea, e scatto un sacco di foto: sono su pellicola e non le ho ancora sviluppate: dovrebbero essere spettacolari, le aggiungero' al blog in un secondo tempo. A fine giornata sono esausto e famelico; la mia pelle e' salatissima e coperta di rughettine. Incontro gli altri abitanti dell'isola (un tipo simpatico del Queensland, in vacanza con i due figli), mi faccio da mangiare in spiaggia ammirando il tramonto, e crollo addormentato come un sasso in tenda. Il giorno dopo... mi sveglio e piove a catinelle: porca puttana, di nuovo!!! Perdipiu' oggi il traghetto non si vede: il mare e' troppo mosso! Sono incazzato nero: non solo mi sto perdendo il mio secondo giorno di divertimento in paradiso, ma il mio volo di ritorno in Italia da Brisbane e' tra soli 3 giorni: se resto inchiodato qui in mezzo all'oceano per piu' di 2 giorni, rischio di perdere il volo! Fortunatamente ho abbastanza cibo e acqua, e i miei amici isolani stanno piu' giorni e hanno un sacco di provviste. Ma che sfiga pero': questo tempo di merda mi sta perseguitando! La giornata e' molto noiosa: non c'e' niente da fare, cosi' dormo e guardo piovere dalla mia tenda. Fortunatamente, il giorno seguente il sole ritorna: spendo una giornata gloriosa facendo snorkeling e esplorando l'isola. Il mare e' calmo, quindi il traghetto viene a prendermi, ancora in tempo per il mio volo da Brisbane. Il mio contatto con la Grande Barriera Corallina e' stato molto preve per colpa del cattivo tempo, ma e' stato bellissimo, e anche abbastanza eccitante a causa di questa avventura da "naufraghi"!

1 commento:

Kobra ha detto...

Argh... Avevo perso il link del tuo blog :-(
Ma ora l'ho ritrovato 8-]
Belline le tartarughine...

Chiara